November 27

Committee Meeting Minutes, Wednesday 14 November, 2018

Venue: Penrith Panthers

Meeting opened: 4.10pm

Present: Ian McLean (LSL), Jan Poona, Jenny Scheffers, Lorraine Baxter, Vicci Bishop, Sue Pitt, Judith Ridge and Michele Young.

Apologies: Cathie Cattermole, Cate Yard, Julie Grazotis, Melissa Kelly and Fran Mead.

All PMBW Committee meetings in 2019 will be held at St Marys Rugby League Club, Corner Forrester & Boronia Road St Marys, commencing at 4pm. Meetings will alternate between a Wednesday and Thursday afternoon.

General Business

  • Ian thanked the Committee for the card and gift voucher presented to him as a thank you for his great work as Committee Chairperson and many years of dedication to the Professional Learning of the Teacher Librarians in our district. We wish him well in his retirement.
  • Ian will continue as PMBW Blog Manager for the near future. Committee meeting minutes will be sent to him for blog publication. 
  • Jenny S thanked the Committee for the floral arrangement which was sent to her following the very sad passing of her husband, Hank. 
  • The preparation of an ‘Event Host Information Package’ is still a work in progress and will include WHS notices, a copy of ‘Welcome to Country’, a Duty List, Committee names and contact information, etc.
  • Lynne Millson is interested in joining the Committee and offered to hold the Term 1 Afternoon Tea meeting at her school.
  • Lynne was consulted and has confirmed that she is available to host the Term 1, 2019 afternoon tea on Thursday Week 7. She has checked with her school calendar.
  • Vicci is prepared to swap with Lynne and host the Term 3 Afternoon Tea meeting.
  • Teacher Librarian at Richmond HS is now Michelle Stanford (michelle.stanford3).
  • Possible future presenters / presentations:

Filmpond?

Tamara Rodgers (PRC Coordinator)?

June Wall – Risk Management & Stocktake?

Local Library Rep?

Google Classrooms?

Ed Tech Tools?

TO DO:

  • Ian – email Michele a copy of ‘Welcome to Country’
  • Ian – send PMBW Blog log-in details to Jenny S to see if she can access the Blog
  • Lorraine – contact Michelle Stanford and invite her to join our PMBW Professional Learning group
  • Lorraine – contact Joanna Deagan, Kelly Finch and Ruth Buchannan o see if they wish to remain as Committee members
  • Michele – work with Jan to prepare a draft ‘Event Host Information Package’ for discussion at the next Committee meeting.

Term 1 2019 Afternoon Tea Meeting 

  • Term 1 Thursday Week 7
  • 3:30 – 5:30pm
  • Teacher Librarian host – Lynne Millson 
  • Venue – Parklea PS
  • Presenters – Nicola Evans and Aleesha Paz Reading Australia.

Copyright Agency Reading Australia https://readingaustralia.com.au/

CONTACTS: Toll free (within Australia) 1800066844
Tel: +61 2 9394 7600

Email: readingaustralia@copyright.com.au

  • Presentation time will be 45 minutes plus question time
  • Committee members to bring a plate.

TO DO:

  • Michele – Email Nicola information regarding the meeting 

nevans@copyright.com.au 

  • Jan – contact Lynne, closer to the date, to discuss the organisation of the afternoon meeting including Sign-on/Sign-off sheet.

Organisation for Term 2 Conference 2019

  • Date: Monday 17th June 2019 
  • Rooty Hill RSL Club – Concept Room 
  • 120 delegates 
  • Cost $95 per person 
  • A substitute presenter will attend in place of Kelly Murphy (Oliver team) 
  • Kathy Wyber (TL at Bardia PS) is confirmed to present 
  • Required number of PMBW carry bags are available
  • Include a scholastic book in delegate conference bags
  • Payment for conference attendance by delegates – Jan will present her SAM with a list of Teacher Librarians attending and each school will be invoiced directly
  • Tamara Rodgers, PRC Coordinator, would be interested in presenting at our conference. She is interested in presenting on some strategies for improving PRC participation in schools and also sessions on effective book evaluation and reviews.
  • Proposed Agenda:
  • 9 – 10am Kathy Wyber – Four Quadrants of Organisation
  • 10 – 10.45am Presentations by the Sponsors
  • 10.45 – 11.30am Morning Tea
  • 11.30 – 12.30pm & 12.30 – 1.30pm. Concurrent sessions to address High School & Primary School Teacher Librarians:

* Paul MacDonald 

* ‘Oliver’ representative – updates & underutilized aspects of Oliver, Oliver for teaching and learning, question time

  • 1.30 – 2.15pm  Lunch
  • 2.15 – 3.15 Morris Gleitzman or author / illustrator
  • 3.15 – 3.30 Evaluation / prizes
  • Sponsors
  • Kids News Representative – not yet confirmed
  • Elizabeth Richards – not yet confirmed
  • Kookaburra – not yet confirmed
  • World Book Representative – Libby Gray – confirmed
  • Paul MacDonald – trade table – confirmed
  • Syba Signs Representative – confirmed

TO DO:

  • Ian – Follow up with Morris Gleitzman (via Lindy Batchelor) & Paul MacDonald
  • Sue – Book Elizabeth Richards and Kookaburra as sponsors – fee will cover a Trade Fair table, catering for 1 rep & a 7 min presentation
  • Michele – email Amy at Rooty Hill RSL – book selected morning tea & lunch menu, book a technician for the day, book pinboards for Syba Signs trade display
  • Michele – email Kathy Wyber (TL Ingleburn PS) details of the day. Inquire as to whether a cost is involved for her to present in addition to paying for a casual at her school (Bardia PS)
  • Michele – check with Cate re contact with ‘Kids News’ sponsor – fee will cover a Trade Fair table, catering for 1 rep & a 7 min presentation – email details to Sue 
  • Michele – purchase scholastic books
  • Jenny S – purchase 150 Eco Mugs from Promotion Products for inclusion in each delegate conference bag (refer to Promotion Products Flyer)
  • Jan – prepare Sign In / Sign Out delegates list & collect at the end of the day
  • Lorraine – Drop off badges to Vicci
  • Lorraine – email delegates a ‘Save the date’ message for the conference
  • Vicci – email delegates / prepare badges (Lorraine LSL)
  • Vicci – delegates’ and presenters’ certificates
  • Vicci – Email Cate for certificates template
  • Cathie – Design the Agenda when all details are finalised
  • Jan – Change the information on the Agenda to reflect the new payment system for conference attendance.

Term 3 2019 Afternoon Tea Meeting 

  • Term 3 date TBA
  • 3:30 – 5:30pm
  • Teacher Librarian host – Vicci Bishop 
  • Venue – Bennett Road PS

TO DO:

  • Michele – Contact Vicci to decide on the meeting date

Next Committee Meeting:

4:00pm at St Marys Rugby League Club, cnr Forrester and Boronia Road, St Marys, on Wednesday 13th February (Term 1 Week 3). Dinner to follow for anyone interested.

Meeting closed: 5.40pm

Category: minutes | LEAVE A COMMENT
September 29

Committee Meeting Minutes, Wednesday 19 September, 2018

Venue: Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
Meeting opened: 4.10pm
Present: Ian McLean (LSL), Jan Poona, Jenny Scheffers, Lorraine Baxter, Julie Grazotis, Vicci Bishop, Cate Yard, Joanna Deegan and Michele Young.
Apologies: Cathie Cattermole, Fran Mead, Sue Pitt, Jennifer Dengate and Ruth Buchanan.

General Business
Thank you to Cate for hosting the Term 3 Afternoon Tea meeting.
DET Conference ‘Libraries for Future Learners’ will be held at the Hyatt Regency Sydney on 19th October.
Jan emailed Committee members information about ‘The Great Book Swap’ project
Ian is waiting on a reply from June Wall regarding advertising the Teacher Librarian networks in SchoolBiz
Cathie investigated having NESA approval for our conferences. Due to the complexity of the system, the Committee has decided to promote our Professional Learning days as we have done in the past
The preparation of an ‘Event Host Information Package’ will continue and include WHS notices, a copy of ‘Welcome to Country’, a Duty List, Committee names and contact information etc
Jan contacted June Wall regarding the Oliver team presenting at our conference and was referred to Kelly Murphy
Michele, Cate and Jan inspected the function room at Rooty Hill RSL Club
Julie announced that she will be returning to teach in the classroom next year. Thank you Julie, for your support and contributions as a PMBW Committee member. Good luck and best wishes for your future.
Cate will also be moving from the position of Teacher Librarian to acting Assistant Principal LAST within her school. Good luck Cate in your change of teaching role and thank you for your contributions and support as a PMBW Committee member.
Possible future presenter? – Lizzie Chase, TL at Ryde
Our AGM will be held in conjunction with our next Committee meeting.

TO DO:
Ian – email Michele a copy of ‘Welcome to Country’
Michele – prepare a draft ‘Event Host Information Package’ for discussion at the next Committee meeting
Lorraine – email our district Teacher Librarians inviting them to the next Committee meeting which will include the AGM.

Treasurer’s Report – Jan
For future PMBW events, Jan will present her SAM with a list of Teacher Librarians attending the event and each school will be invoiced directly
Term 2 Conference 2019 – Deposit paid for booking the Concept Room at Rooty Hill RSL Club.

Term 1 2019 Afternoon Tea Meeting
Term 1 date TBA
3:30 – 5:30pm
Teacher Librarian host – Vicci Bishop
Venue – Bennett Road PS
Possible Presenters – Nicola Evans and Aleesha Paz Reading Australia 
Copyright Agency Reading Australia https://readingaustralia.com.au/
CONTACTS: Toll free (within Australia) 1800 066 844
Tel: +61 2 9394 7600
, Fax: +61 2 9394 7601
Email: readingaustralia@copyright.com.au
Committee members to bring a plate
TO DO:
Michele – Contact Vicci to decide on the meeting date
Michele – Contact Nicola and Aleesha

Organisation for Term 2 Conference 2019
Date: Monday 17th June 2019
Rooty Hill RSL Club
Concept Room booked
120 delegates
Cost $95 per person
Paul MacDonald – attendance confirmed by Ian
Kelly Murphy – attendance confirmed by Jan
Syba Signs – attendance confirmed by Jenny
Presenters will need to bring along their own laptop

Proposed Agenda
9 – 10am Kathy Wyber – Four Quadrants of Organisation
10 – 10.45am Presentations by the Sponsors
10.45 – 11.30am Morning Tea
11.30 – 12.30pm & 12.30 – 1.30pm Concurrent sessions to address High School & Primary School Teacher Librarians
Paul MacDonald – CBCA Book Week short list (and what’s new and hot in graphic novels?)
Kelly Murphy (Oliver team) – updates & underutilized aspects of Oliver, Oliver for teaching and learning, question time
1.30 – 2.15pm  Lunch
2.15 – 3.15 Morris Gleitzman or author / illustrator
3.15 – 3.30 Evaluation / prizes

Sponsors
Kids News Representative
World Book Representative – Libby Gray
Paul MacDonald – trade table
Syba Signs Representative

TO DO:
Committee – choose morning tea & lunch menu
Michele – book selected morning tea & lunch menu
Michele – book a technician for the day at a cost of $60 per hour
Michele – book pinboards for Syba Signs trade display
Michele – purchase folders
Julie – contact and book Kathy Wyber (TL Ingleburn PS) to present her one hour session ‘Four Quadrants of Organisation’

Ian – contact Paul regarding his presentation of two sessions – one to support High school & one for Primary School TLs
Ian – contact Paul to book Morris Gleitzman (if available) or another suitable author/illustrator
Jan – count the number of PMBW carry bags we have available – consider paper bags
Jan – purchase 150 Eco Mugs from Promotion Products for inclusion in each delegate conference bag (refer to Promotion Products Flyer)
Jan – prepare Sign In / Sign Out delegates list & collect at the end of the day
Vicci – email delegates / prepare badges (Lorraine LSL)
Vicci – delegates’ and presenters’ certificates
Cate – Email Vicci template for certificates
Cate – Contact and book ‘Kids News’ sponsor – fee will cover a Trade Fair table, catering for 1 rep & a 7 min presentation. Email details to Sue
Lorraine – Contact Libby Gray (World Book) and book her as a sponsor – fee will cover a Trade Fair table, catering for 1 rep & a 7 min presentation. Email details to Sue
Sue – Jenny has confirmed Syba Signs as a sponsor. Follow up next year re the fee charge & final arrangements for the day. It was explained that the fee will cover a Trade Fair table, catering for 1 rep & a 7 min presentation
Sue – trade tables are available for two more sponsors ??

Next Committee Meeting: 4:00pm at Penrith Panthers on Wednesday 14th November (Term 4 Week 5) Includes AGM.
Meeting closed: 5.40pm.

Category: minutes | LEAVE A COMMENT
July 30

Committee Meeting Minutes, Thursday 5 July 2018

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.20pm
Present: Ian McLean (LSL), Jan Poona, Sue Pitt, Lorraine Baxter, Julie Grazotis, Vicci Bishop, Cate Yard and Michele Young.
Apologies: Jenny Scheffers, Cathie Cattermole, Fran Mead, Jennifer Dengate and Ruth Buchanan.

General Business
* Flowers will be delivered to Jenny Scheffers
* Lorraine emailed TLs on our data base information about the following two conferences – CPL Conference on 31st August and Our Primary Libraries: Creative Collaboration on the 25th June
* Jan attended the Creative Collaboration Conference – a great day of professional learning with a primary school focus
* Lorraine – emailed School Principals for the name of their Teacher Librarian in order to update our database information. At this stage, 100 schools have not responded to the email. Lorraine has created a TL list for each district in our area
* Cate spoke with WHS Consultant, Sue Fuller, regarding whether the Committee needs to prepare a Risk Assessment Plan for the functions that we organise. Although a full Risk Assessment Plan is not necessary, we will need to cover certain points within our Housekeeping procedures at the beginning of each event (details to follow)
* The Committee will prepare an ‘Event Host Information Package’ which will include WHS notices, a copy of ‘Welcome to Country’, a Duty List, Committee names and contact information etc (to be finalised at the next meeting)
* A digital copy (USB) of the presenters’ notes from the Term 2 Conference is not available
* Jenny S contacted Paul MacDonald for a copy of his Book Week Shortlist presentation and forwarded it to Committee members
* The Committee decided not to change our system of distribution and collection of name badges used for PMBW events
* Jan mentioned a project titled “The Great Book Swap” which aims to supply books to students in remote areas. Conduct a fundraiser within your own school and for a gold coin donation, people donate and swap books
* Cate – “Kids News” (Kidsnews.com.au) A free teaching resource for schools aimed at students in Years 3-8.

TO DO:
* Lorraine – send a final email to the 100 schools that have not responded with the name of their Teacher Librarian
* Jan – Email Committee members information about “The Great Book Swap” project
* Ian – Add Paul’s PowerPoint Presentation to our PMBW website
* Ian – Follow up with Easter Carmeli for access to her presentation
* Ian – contact June Wall next term to see if she would be interested in advertising the Teacher Librarian networks in SchoolBiz
* Ian – email Michele a copy of ‘Welcome to Country’
* Michele – follow up with Cate regarding the inclusion of WHS notices at the beginning of any PMBW event
* Michele – prepare a draft “Event Host Information Package” for discussion at the next Committee meeting.

Treasurer’s Report – Jan
* Term 2 Conference – 23 schools have not yet paid or been identified as having made payment
* Jan has emailed each school to sort out the problem and only 8 have replied
* To check if a school has paid for their TL to attend an event the school’s SAM needs to send Jan’s SAM a Journal Number (Transaction number) to check against unidentified payments
SAM time is paid for the handling of PMBW finances – fee is still to be deducted from our account balance
* For future PMBW events, Jan will present her SAM with a list of Teacher Librarians attending the event and each school will be invoiced directly.

TO DO:
* Jan – continue to follow up with outstanding Term 2 Conference payments.

Term 3 2018 Afternoon Tea Meeting – Planning
* Thursday 13th September (Term 3, Week 8), 3:30 – 5:30pm
* Teacher Librarian host is Cate Yard – Bidwill PS
* Discussion topics – Book Week / Flexible Learning Spaces
* Committee members to bring a plate.

TO DO:
* Lorraine – email Cathie information for the event Flyer / RSVP to Cate by Friday 7th September
* Cathie – Design the Flyer to advertise this event.

Organisation for Term 2 Conference 2019 (Draft only)
Date: Monday 17th June 2019
Venue: Rooty Hill RSL Club
120 delegates – cost $90 per person
Possible presentations:
* Paul MacDonald – Book Week Shortlist and Graphic Novels
* Author – Morris Gleitzman or Ahn Do (check ‘The Children’s Bookshop’ list)
* NSW DoE Oliver Team – teaching / learning focus
* Easter Carmeli – Science texts to support the new Syllabus
* ACARA Learning Progressions (text complexity) – how can the Teacher Librarian use them to support learning? (Department Representative?)

TO DO:
* Michele & Cate – visit venue and meet with the RSL representation to discuss our event and inclusions
* Michele – book the venue and contact Jan regarding the deposit payment
* Ian – contact Easter Carmeli to confirm whether a Science Picture Book List to support the new syllabus will be available at the time of our Conference date / will the list cover Stage levels 1 – 5
* Ian – book Paul MacDonald for 17th June
* Jan – count the number of PMBW carry bags we have available
* Michele – purchase folders
* Vicci – email delegates / prepare badges (Lorraine LSL)
* Cathie – Investigate how NESA works for accrediting our PD Days
* Cathie – Investigate the cost of engaging Anh Do for a presentation
* Cate – delegates’ and presenters’ certificates
* Jan – prepare Sign In / Sign Out delegates list / collect at the end of the day
* Jan – contact June Wall and ask her to book the Oliver Team for this Conference.

Next Committee Meeting: 4:00pm at Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club on Wednesday 19th September (Term 3 Week 9)
Meeting closed: 5.40pm.

Category: minutes | LEAVE A COMMENT
February 27

Committee Meeting Minutes – Thursday 22nd February 2018

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.10pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Cathie Cattermole, Lolita Garcia, Lorraine Baxter, Julie Grazotis, Jennifer Dengate, Sue Pitt, Kelly Finch, Vicci Bishop, Cate Yard, Melissa Kelly and Michele Young.
Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.10pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Cathie Cattermole, Lolita Garcia, Lorraine Baxter, Julie Grazotis, Jennifer Dengate, Sue Pitt, Kelly Finch, Vicci Bishop, Cate Yard, Melissa Kelly and Michele Young.
Apologies: Jenny Scheffers, Fran Mead, Joanna Deegan and Ruth Buchanan.

General Business
• Committee Meeting venues will remain as Penrith Panthers and Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
• Wednesdays and Thursdays are preferred committee meeting days
• Cate Yard is confirmed as the organiser of Delegates’ & Presenters’ Certificates
• Cate is confirmed as the host for the Term 3 Afternoon Tea meeting at Bidwill PS
• Below is an email received by Jenny Scheffers regarding important changes to the MyPL system

EMAIL – New Functionality – Details Link
The reference guide in the link at the end of this email describes how to create a link to the Session Enrolment page for an individual course. This will be referred to as the “Details link”.
The Details link should be used in all advertisements for MyPL courses and replaces the “Instalaunch link” previously used. The Instalaunch link had the default behaviour of enrolling staff to the waitlist for a course simply by clicking on the link provided.
The Details link will not enrol staff onto a waitlist and simply presents the list of available sessions for staff to choose. Please use this link in future in all advertisements for MyPL courses.
https://education.nsw.gov.au/teaching-and-learning/professional-learning/mypl/media/documents/documents_101116/link-to-session-enrolment-page.pdf.pdf
Regards
Dominic Bova
Manager MyPL
School Policy and Information Management
Learning and Business Systems
Department of Education and Communities
Level 1, 1 Oxford Street, Darlinghurst
NSW 2010 ® Ph: +61 2 9244 5054

• Jenny Scheffers suggested registering PMBW Afternoon Tea meetings on MYPL – Committee decided that attendees could register these meetings for accreditation as Teacher Identified PD (TIPD)
 Ian – investigate how PMBW full day meetings can be registered with NESA.

Jan (Treasurer’s Report)
• Jo Ryan has agreed to assist Jan with the Treasurer’s duties on behalf of PMBW Teacher Librarian Professional Learning Group. Jan and Jo will chase up payments for 2017 PD day once Jo has had time to settle into her new role.

Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting – Picture Book S.T.E.M
• Refer to flyer
• Hosted by Teacher Librarian Cathie Cattermole
• James Erskine PS – 53 Peppertree Drive, Erskine Park
• Wednesday 11th April (Week 11)
• 4:00 – 5:30pm
• Topic –STEM / STEAM workshop
• Limited to 40 attendees – Preference given to Teacher Librarians before places open to other interested teachers
• Committee members are asked to bring a plate for afternoon tea.

 Cathie – add parking information to the flyer
 Cathie – email a copy of the flyer to Ian & cc to Lorraine for distribution
 Ian – add flyer to the PMBW Blog
 Cathie – contact Jan for reimbursement of money spent on resourcing the STEM workshop.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting
• Hosted by Lolita Garcia
• Richmond HS
• Week 2 Thursday 10th May
• Agenda being considered:
o Paul Macdonald – CBCA Notables, Short List & hot History resources
o Two concurrent sessions – HSIE Consultant (History – PS & HS) and English consultant (English Conceptual Concepts)?
o Author presentation – contact through Paul MacDonald and the Children’s Bookshop – possible link to the History Syllabus?
o Megan Townes (Microsoft Presenter)?
• Catering will be organised by the school – breaks/meals will be taken in the Trade Training Centre.

 Ian – contact Paul Macdonald to lock in this date
 Ian – contact HSIE consultant
 Jan – contact English consultant
 Lolita – contact Megan Townes (re Term 2 PD Day or Term 3 Afternoon meeting)
 Ian and Jan to work on the Agenda for the next full-day meeting
 Lorraine – email delegates to add this event and date to their diaries
 Sue – organise sponsors – suggestions: Modern Teaching Aids (MTA), MacMillan, World Book Online (Consultant – Libby Gray), supplier of STEM products (email Cathie for her contacts).

Next Committee Meeting: 4.00pm at Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
Date TBA

Meeting closed: 5.15pm

February 14

Committee Meeting Minutes, Thursday 6 December 2017

Venue: Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
Meeting opened: 4.10pm (This meeting was promoted as our AGM)
Present: Ian McLean, Jenny Scheffers, Jan Poona, Cathie Cattermole, Lolita Garcia, Joanna Deegan and Michele Young.
Apologies: Fran Mead, Lorraine Baxter, Jennifer Dengate, Sue Pitt, Cate Yard, Vicci Bishop, Julie Grazotis, Melissa Kelly and Ruth Buchanan.

Ian
• Term 4 Professional Learning Day a success
• 66 delegates attended
• Term 4 2018 – possible Department of Education Conference
• 2018 Committee and Roles & Responsibilities confirmed (see separate page on this blog)
• New Committee members – Welcome to Kelly Finch (Lethbridge Park PS), Melissa Kelly (Colyton PS) and Ruth Buchanan (Colo HS)
• Volunteer Teacher Librarians happy to to host a meeting in 2018:
Cate Yard at Bidwill PS – Term 1 or 3
Vicci Bishop at Bennett Road PS – Term 1 or 3
Kelly Finch at Lethbridge Park PS – Term 1

 Ian – Survey the Committee members as to the suitability of current Committee Meeting venues – Penrith Panthers and Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
 Michele – contact Cate to ask if she will organise Delegates & Presenters’ Certificates
 Michele – confirm with Cate that the Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting will be held at Bidwill PS.

Lolita (Term 4 PL Day Evaluation Report)
• Refer to Handout
• Great venue at no cost
• Great catering by the school canteen
• 32 delegates returned an online evaluation
• Some delegates experienced problems accessing the online evaluation

• Suggestions to attain a higher percentage of Evaluation returns:
o email detailed instructions on how to access the online evaluation form
o use computers/ipads etc available at the venue
o use Survey Monkey
o delegates complete the evaluation on their own device before leaving the venue
o require delegates to complete the evaluation in order to be accredited in MyPL

• Future directions for topics and presenters:
o Program Builder?
o Resourcing the History Curriculum?
o TENS?
o Revisit using OLIVER?
o More of Paul Macdonald?
o English conceptual concepts?
o Library redecorating ideas?
o Digital Technology Curriculum (Australian Curriculum website) – developing a scope and sequence?

Jan (Treasurer’s Report)
• Current balance is healthy
• 11 delegates still to pay for Term 4 PL Day
• Fiona Wadell, SAM at Rooty Hill PS, is moving on to Katoomba PS. Jo Ryan has agreed to assist Jan with the Treasurer’s duties on behalf of PMBW Teacher Librarian Professional Learning Group.

2018 Organisation:
• Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting – hosted by Cathie Cattermole, James Erskine PS
• Term 2 Full Day Meeting – hosted by Lolita Garcia, Richmond HS
• Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting – hosted by Cate Yard, Bidwill PS
• Term 4 Full Day Meeting – Possible Department of Education Conference.

Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting (to be confirmed)
• Hosted by Teacher Librarian Cathie Cattermole
• James Erskine PS
• Wednesday 4th (Week 10) or Wednesday 11th (Week 11) April?
• 4:00 – 5:30pm
• Topic – STEM / STEAM workshop
 Cathie – Check the date of the Term 1 P & C meeting. If this date is also suitable for our meeting we can extend the workshop time to 6pm.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting (to be confirmed)
• Hosted by Lolita Garcia
• Richmond HS
• Week 2 Wednesday 9th May – (Tuesday 8th & Thursday 10th are also possible dates)
• Agenda
o Paul Macdonald – CBCA Short List & History resources?
o Colleen Blancato – Teacher Librarian essentials / Department update / Using Program Builder?
o Introduction to the Digital Technologies Syllabus – Colleen Blancato (or recommended presenter)?
o Author presentation – contact through Paul MacDonald and the Children’s Bookshop – possible link to the History Syllabus?
o Concurrent sessions – Program Builder / digital technologies (Cathie & Julie?)?
• Catering will be organised by the school – breaks/meals will be taken in the Trade Training Centre
 Ian – contact Paul MacDonald
 Ian – contact Colleen Blancato.

Next Committee Meeting: 4.00pm at Penrith Panthers Club, Possibly Term 1 Week 4 2018
Meeting closed: 5.20pm

August 28

Committee Meeting Minutes for Wednesday, 16 August 2017

Venue: Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
Meeting opened: 4.15pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Joanna Deegan, Jennifer Dengate, Vicci Bishop, Julie Grazotis, Sue Pitt, Lolita Garcia and Michele Young.
Apologies: Jenny Scheffers, Fran Mead and Cathie Cattermole.

General Business

• Congratulations to Vicci on her appointment to a permanent Teacher Librarian position at Bennett Road Public School
• Jan on leave Term 4, Weeks 1 to 5
• Michele on leave Term 3, Weeks 9 & 10 + Term 4, Weeks 1 to 3
• Bruce Pickworth is not available to attend meetings during September
• No Departmental Conference in Term 4 2017 – biannual conferences will be held
• Email from local author, Susan Boyer, offering free school visits in Term 4 and 2018. Promoting her latest book Stories of life at Sydney Cove.

Jan – Treasurer’s Report
We generally have no transactions between conferences. Therefore, the last total in our account was given to the committee in December 2016, at which time our account balance was healthy. Sometimes we have costs in regard to the afternoon tea in Term 1, such as tea and coffee and a gift for the presenter.
Each conference generally costs us about $2500.00, more or less, by the time you take into account expenses associated with preparation, such as if we buy folders; buying gifts for presenters; costs incurred by the host school; and the cost of catering.
Each conference gives us funds in the form of sponsorship by trades such as book companies; and attendance fees paid by Teacher Librarians.
Our pricing for TLs to attend seems to be correct as long as we have a high enough attendance. It also tells us that our long-term plan is working, ie. the plan to hold some less expensive conferences in order to save up so we can pay to have a special presenter every couple of years.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting Evaluation
• 49 responses to the online Evaluation form (Google Forms)
• Ideas for future professional development included – Oliver Support, presentation by Paul Macdonald, author presentation, English Contextual Concepts, curriculum (Geography/History)
• Suggestion to add Teaching Standards to our meeting agendas to address the collating of evidence for accreditation

Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Venue – Nepean HS
• Nepean High School – 115-119 Great Western Hwy, Emu Plains 0247287200
• Teacher Librarian host – Karuna Chetty
• Date – 13th September (Wednesday, Week 9)
• Bruce Pickworth is unfortunately not available for this meeting
• Meeting focus – Book Week in review / Q & A / networking.

Term 4 Full Day Meeting
• Suggested sessions?:
o Progressive meeting day – visit various schools for different sessions
o Digital Toolbox – Joachin Cohen, Future Learning Unit?
o Google Docs & Forms?
o Geography – using Picture Books?
o What does programming look like?
o Paul Macdonald? Colleen Blancato?
o Bruce Pickworth – The godwits – migratory birds and built environments?
o HSIE panel?
o English Contextual Concepts – Catherine Thomson?
o Break off groups – HS & PS?
• Meeting Focus: Curriculum – Planning & Programming?
• Venue: To be decided
• Date: Possibly Term 4 Friday Week 6?
• Maximum of 75 to 80 Teacher Librarians if held at a school venue?
• Cost – TBA

• Proposed Agenda?
o 8:15am Registration and coffee
o 9:00am Welcome by Principal, Housekeeping and General Business
o 9:10am Paul MacDonald – The value of using picture books across the curriculum
o 10:10am Bruce Pickworth – author of ‘The Godwits’, a new text for Stages 2 & 3 Geography with Teacher Notes written by Margo Pickworth
o 10:45am Sponsor’s presentations
o 11:00am Morning tea
o 11:30am A Guide to using picture books in Geography (online resource) – Presenter TBA
o 12:15pm Using picture books in English (Units of work?) – possibly presented by James Hoffman (K – 6 English advisor)
o 1:00pm Lunch
o 2:00pm Discussion groups (High School & Primary School) – Programming / lesson planning / programming templates
Delegates to bring along a picture book & corresponding unit of work for group discussion
o 3:00pm Evaluation and Badge Draw
 Ian – contact Nepean Shores for information regarding their conference venue
 Ian – contact Belinda Doyle, Erskine Park HS, regarding the possibility of hosting the Term 4 meeting
 Ian – confirm Paul Macdonald for this date & his presentation / bring along books to sell / are flyers available listing the inservice presentations or student workshop presentations he does at schools
 Ian – contact Bruce and Margo to confirm attendance and the possibility of them selling copies of their book.
 Ian – contact Colleen Blancato for information about a presenter for a 45 minute session on using picture books in Geography
 Lolita – check with Principal of Richmond HS regarding the hosting of the Term 4 meeting in the Library
 Jan – contact James Hoffman regarding him presenting a 45 minute session on using picture books within the English curriculum
 All available committee members – A short Committee meeting will follow the Term 3 Afternoon Tea meeting to finalise the Term 4 Full Day Professional Learning Agenda
 Ian, Jan & Jenny – add the course to MyPL before the end of Term 3
Include Teaching Standards on the Agenda
 Sue & Cate – organise sponsors – Scholastic Rep in Jenny Scheffers’ area is interested in sponsoring this event
 Michele – photocopy handouts The godwits for delegates.

Next Committee Meeting: A short Committee meeting will follow the Term 3 Afternoon Tea meeting to finalise the Term 4 Full Day Professional Learning Agenda.

Term 4 Committee Meeting: Penrith Panthers – Date and time TBA
Meeting closed: 5.30pm

Category: minutes | LEAVE A COMMENT
April 4

Committee Meeting Minutes for Monday 27 March 2017

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.10pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Joanna Deegan, Jennifer Dengate, Jenny Scheffers, Sue Pitt, Lolita Garcia and Michele Young.
Apologies: Cate Yard, Lorraine Baxter, Vicci Bishop, Julie Grazotis and Cathie Cattermole.

General Business
• 35 Teacher Librarians attended the Term 1 Afternoon Tea meeting for the presentation by Bradley Cook on Professional Development Plans for TLs
• Bradley Cook – suggested that one PDP goal in a TL’s PDP should be linked to the school plan, one be a stage level goal (where appropriate) and one a personal goal
• ASLA – Evidence guide for Teacher Librarians in the Proficient Career Stage
• ASLA – Evidence Guide for Teacher Librarians in the Highly Accomplished Career Stage
• Both of the above Evidence Guides can be found on the ASLA website listed under Publications, or click on the above hyperlinks
• Karuna Chetty, Nepean HS was not available to host the Term 2 full day meeting
• Thank you to Jenny Scheffers and her Principal for volunteering to host the full day meeting at Caddies Creek PS
• Joanna Deegan has volunteered to take on the responsibility for Delegates’ and Presenters’ Certificates
• Colleen Foley has retired & will be invited to our Term 2 meeting
 Jenny S – contact Colleen and ask her permission to pass her phone number on to Ian
 Ian – officially invite Colleen to our Term 2 meeting
 Jenny D – organise a thank you gift for Colleen if she is attending our PL day
 Ian – contact Colleen Blancato for any update on a NSW ebook subscription.
 Lorraine – email TLs who attended the afternoon tea meeting requesting a copy of their PDP goals to collate into a document for redistribution.

Treasurer’s Report
• It will be necessary to include invoice information at the top of any Professional Learning Day Agenda
• Committee members will need to keep any original dockets to support claims for reimbursement of money spent
• Further details to follow, from the SAM at Rooty Hill PS, regarding the information required to process payments to committee members
• Payment for attendance of our Chairperson & Treasurer at PMBW Professional Learning Days will be covered out of Treasury funds.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting discussion
• 22nd June 2017
• Venue: Caddies Creek PS
• Teacher Librarian host: Jenny Scheffers
• Glenwood Park Dr & Currawong St, Glenwood
• Maximum of 75 Teacher Librarians
• Cost – $40
Agenda
o 8:15am Registration and coffee
o 9:00am Welcome by Principal, Housekeeping and General Business
o 9:15am Paul MacDonald – CBCA Short-listed books
o 10:15am Sponsor’s presentations
o 10:30am Morning tea
o 11:15am Bradley Cook & Leanne Stead – Professional Development Plans
o 12:45pm Lunch
o 1:45pm Julie Grazotis & Lolita Garcia – using Google Docs (PDP) & Google Forms (Evaluation)
o 2:15pm Discussion groups
o 3:00pm Evaluation and Badge Draw
 Ian – confirm Paul Macdonald for this date
 Ian – confirm Bradley Cook & Leanne Stead for this date, confirm the session title and handouts
 Ian – contact Julie to discuss her session on Google Docs for PDPs
 Michele – provide Ian with the link to the ASLA Evidence Guide for Teacher Librarians in the Proficient Career Stage document
 Ian – email the above link to Bradley
 Jenny – email Ian & Jan a copy of a MyPL Agenda template
 Ian, Jan & Jenny – meet at Penrith PS, Wednesday 5th March, to add the course to MyPL
 Sue & Cate – organise sponsors – The Children’s Bookshop & Elizabeth Richards
 Cathie – design Agenda
 Jenny D – organise thank you cards & gifts for presenters and hosts
 Joanna – organise Delegates’ and Presenters’ Certificates
 Lorraine – email invitation and Agenda to district TLs
 Jenny S – contact Richard to book the catering for morning tea & lunch
 Lolita – organise for the Evaluation to be presented using Google Forms
 Michele – organise folders for handouts if required.

Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting discussion
• Venue – Nepean HS
• Nepean High School – 115-119 Great Western Hwy, Emu Plains 0247287200
• Teacher Librarian host – Karuna Chetty
• Date – 13th September (Wednesday Week 9)
• Guest speaker – Bruce Pickworth, author of The Godwits, a new text for Stages 2 & 3 Geography with Teacher Notes written by Margo Pickworth
 Ian – contact Bruce and Margo to confirm attendance at the afternoon tea meeting and the possibility of them selling copies of the book.

Next Committee Meeting: Date TBA, 4.00pm at Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
Dinner to follow for anyone who would like to attend.
Meeting closed: 5.15pm

February 28

Committee Meeting Minutes – Thursday 23 February 2017

Venue: Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
Meeting opened: 4.30pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Cate Yard, Joanna Deegan, Fran Mead and Michele Young.
Apologies: Lorraine Baxter, Vicci Bishop, Sue Pitt, Julie Grazotis, Jenny Scheffers, Lolita Garcia and Cathie Cattermole.

Ian:
Night of the Notables – hosted by CBCA NSW Branch and Dymocks
Tuesday 28 February 5.30 – 7.00pm at Dymocks, Sydney CBD
Register online for this free event at https://www.trybooking.com/ONRC
“Anticipate! Appreciate! Applaud! The Short List” event
2017 Short List announcement – Tuesday 28 March 9.00am – 3.30pm
Rydges Sydney Central, 28 Albion Street Surry Hills
Registrations open http://www.trybooking.com/NTWF
• Ian – producing ‘Kids Corner’ of the NSW CBCA website with Marion Silk – encouraging schools to join CBCA NSW and use its website
• Christien Midgley (Hebersham PS) – due to changed circumstances at school, Christien is unable to host the Professional Learning day in Term 2
 A committee member volunteer is needed to take on the responsibility for Delegates’ and Presenters’ Certificates
 Ian – contact Colleen Blancato for any update on possible NSW eBook subscription and guidelines for the promotion of eBook providers.

Jan (Treasurer’s Report):
• No change since the end of 2016
 Jan – to check with the SAM at her school regarding any changes to the operation of our PMBW account eg. Purchasing flowers and gifts, reimbursement of money spent by Committee members, payments to guest speakers.

Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Hosted by Terrie O’Hearn TERRIE.OHEARN@DET.NSW.EDU.AU
• Hambledon PS – Bali Drive Quakers Hill 0298373200
• Week 8 Wednesday 15 March
• 3.45pm for a 4pm start – concludes 5pm
• Topic – Professional Development Plans for Teacher Librarians
Guest speaker – Bradley Cook (Teacher Quality Advisor, Nirimba)
A 40-minute introduction to Professional Development Plans (PDPs)
Committee members and attending Teacher Librarians are encouraged to bring along their 2016 and current draft PDPs for discussion and sharing of ideas and strategies
• Committee members please provide a plate for afternoon tea
Ian – contact Cathie regarding the design of the flyer advertising the afternoon tea event
Cathie – design the flyer
Lorraine – email the flyer to the district TLs.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting
 Ian – contact Karuna Chetty, Nepean HS, to ask if she would be agreeable to host this full day meeting instead of the Term 3 afternoon tea meeting
Approach Louise Gaskin at Emu Heights PS if necessary
• Date to be confirmed – possibly Week 9 Thursday
• Agenda
o Bradley Cook & Leanne Steed – PDPs for Teacher Librarians – 90-minute follow up session to their Term 1 Afternoon Tea presentation
o Paul MacDonald – CBCA Short List plus possible second session
 Ian – contact Paul MacDonald
 Ian – Confirm Bradley Cook’s attendance
 Sue & Cate – organise sponsors
 Ian, Jan & Jenny – add the course to MyPL
 Cathie – design Agenda
 Lorraine – email invitation and Agenda to district TLs

Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Host and date TBA
• Possible guest speaker? – Bruce Pickworth, author of a new text for Stages 2 & 3 Geography Syllabus with Teacher Notes written by Margo Pickworth
 Ian – contact Bruce

Next Committee Meeting: 4.00pm at Penrith Panthers
Week 10 Monday 27th March 2017
Dinner to follow for anyone who would like to attend.
Meeting closed: 5.30pm

December 16

Committee Meeting Minutes – Thursday 8 December 2016

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.10pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jenny Scheffers, Jennifer Dengate, Julie Grazotis, Jan Poona, Sue Pitt, Cate Yard, Vicci Bishop, Joanna Deegan and Michele Young.
Apologies: Maria Formica, Fran Mead, Lorraine Baxter and Natalie Ignacz.

Ian
• Maria Formica has resigned from the committee as she has accepted a position in Lawson and will attend the Blue Mountains Teacher Librarian Network meetings.
• Sue Pitt will transfer to Cranebrook HS in 2017
• Night of the Notables – CBCA NSW event at Dymocks in the city early 2017
• Anticipate! Appreciate! Applaud! The CBCA Short List – Tuesday March 28, Rydges Sydney Central 28 Albion Street Surry Hills, 9.00am – 3.30pm. Registrations open http://www.trybooking.com/NTWF

Jan gave her Treasurer’s Report

Jenny Dengate
• Glenmore Park HS has a subscription to Wheelers ebooks
• Easy to use / multiple copies of titles
• Promotion $995 – Subscription for 2017 plus Term 4 2016 free
 Ian – contact Colleen Blancato for any updates on NSW ebook subscription and guidelines for the promotion of ebook providers.

2017 Organisation
• Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting – hosted by Terrie O’Hearn, Hambledon PS?
• Term 2 Full Day Meeting – hosted by Christien Midgley, Hebersham PS?
• Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting – hosted by Karuna Chetty, Nepean HS?
• Term 4 Possible Department of Education Conference.

Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Wednesday or Thursday Week 7 or 8?
• Possible 2pm start?
• Topic – Professional Development Plans for Teacher Librarians
o Possible guest speaker – Louise King (DoE, Teacher Quality Advisor)?
o Small group discussion and sharing of ideas

 Ian – contact Terrie re date of meeting and start time
 Ian – contact Louise King
 Jenny – visit Hambledon PS to check out the school facilities
 Committee members to copy and share their PDP.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting
• Date to be confirmed – possibly Week 9 Wednesday or Thursday (alternate day with Term 1 meeting)
• Agenda:
o Michelle Jensen – ASLA and Maker Spaces?
o Paul MacDonald – CBCA Short List?
o Catherine Thompson (DoE) – Contextual Concepts?
o Julie Grazotis and Jenny Dengate – Google Apps (G Suite)
o Practical Application for the Classroom
o Author – Walker Books?

 Ian – contact Christien to confirm date, check on availability of breakaway rooms, wifi and computers
 Ian – contact Catherine Thompson
 Jenny – contact Walker Books re author availability
 Marianne – contact Michelle Jensen
 Jan – visit Hebersham to check out the school facilities.

Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Possible guest speaker – Dr Belle Alderman of the National Centre for Australian Children’s Literature?

Next Committee Meeting: 4.00pm at Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club (Week 3, Thursday 9th February 2017)
Meeting closed: 5.10pm.

August 9

Committee Meeting Minutes – Thursday 28 July 2016

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.00pm
Present: Jenny Scheffers, Cathie Cattermole, Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Vicci Bishop, Sue Pitt, Lolita Garcia, Julie Grazotis, Lorraine Baxter, Natalie Ignacz, Marianne Grasso and Michele Young
Apologies: Fran Mead and Jennifer Dengate.

Jenny
• Welcome to Vicci who works with Jan at Rooty Hill PS
• Thank you to the Committee for Conference organisation
• Thank you to Cathie for designing the Flyers and for organising the Thank you cards
• Thank you to Julie for the Evaluation report
• Julie and Jenny Dengate are our representatives for the Department Conference
• Marianne is the SLAV NSW representative on the Department Conference Committee
• Committee members asked to consider taking on the Chairperson role from 2017.

Jan (Treasurer’s Report)
• Waiting for ten Conference payments
• It will be necessary to meet later in the year to discuss how PMBW finances will work in with the introduction of LMBR.
• Committee agreed to present a thank you gift or flowers to Jan’s SAM.

Julie
• Evaluation of Term 2 Professional Learning Day – very positive feedback
• Refer to handout
• For Jenny Williams resources – access her website
• BOSTES – majority of delegates are at Proficient level with some aiming for Highly Accomplished
• Used Google Forms for the Evaluation – go to Google apps link on your Portal page.

Cathie
• A Connected Classroom session with Aleesah Darlison available through DART ($110).

Term 3 2016 Afternoon Tea Meeting plus AGM
• Hosted by Lyn Drew – Penrith South PS
• Thursday 22 September (Week 10, Term 3)
• From 3:30 – 5pm
• Special guest – author Aleesah Darlison
• Copies of Aleesah’s books will be available for sale on the day by The Children’s Bookshop
 Committee members to bring a plate
 Lorraine – send a reminder email to PBMW members
 Marianne – liaise with Jenny about contacting Michelle Jensen to offer her 15 minutes at the beginning of the meeting to discuss/promote SLA NSW.

Term 4 2016 Department of Education Conference
• Monday 17 October.

Organisation for 2017
Term 1 2017 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• TL – Terrie O’Hearn
• Hambledon PS
 Jenny – contact Terrie to ask if the Library is suitable for a full day meeting and if wifi is available
Term 2 2017 Full Day Meeting
• TL – Christien Midgley
• Hebersham PS
Term 3 2017 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• TL – Karuna Chetty
• Nepean HS
Term 4 2017 Department Conference?

Possible Topics for Professional Learning Days 2017
• Hands on workshop using Google Docs?
• Makerspaces – Michelle Jensen?
• eBooks – Overdrive & Wheelers?
• STEM & STEAM?
• Promoting features of Oliver?
• PDPs and the accreditation process for Teacher Librarians?
• Afternoon Tea – informal discussion, bring along your favourite book, promote PRC?
– guest author – Walker Books?
 Marianne to contact Michelle Jensen to ask if she would be interested in presenting a session at the full day meeting?
 Jenny – contact Colleen Foley about a speaker on the PDP and accreditation topic.

Next Committee Meeting: 3.45pm at Blacktown Workers’ Sports Club (date TBA)
Meeting closed: 4:55pm.