April 4

Committee Meeting Minutes for Monday 27 March 2017

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.10pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Joanna Deegan, Jennifer Dengate, Jenny Scheffers, Sue Pitt, Lolita Garcia and Michele Young.
Apologies: Cate Yard, Lorraine Baxter, Vicci Bishop, Julie Grazotis and Cathie Cattermole.

General Business
• 35 Teacher Librarians attended the Term 1 Afternoon Tea meeting for the presentation by Bradley Cook on Professional Development Plans for TLs
• Bradley Cook – suggested that one PDP goal in a TL’s PDP should be linked to the school plan, one be a stage level goal (where appropriate) and one a personal goal
• ASLA – Evidence guide for Teacher Librarians in the Proficient Career Stage
• ASLA – Evidence Guide for Teacher Librarians in the Highly Accomplished Career Stage
• Both of the above Evidence Guides can be found on the ASLA website listed under Publications, or click on the above hyperlinks
• Karuna Chetty, Nepean HS was not available to host the Term 2 full day meeting
• Thank you to Jenny Scheffers and her Principal for volunteering to host the full day meeting at Caddies Creek PS
• Joanna Deegan has volunteered to take on the responsibility for Delegates’ and Presenters’ Certificates
• Colleen Foley has retired & will be invited to our Term 2 meeting
 Jenny S – contact Colleen and ask her permission to pass her phone number on to Ian
 Ian – officially invite Colleen to our Term 2 meeting
 Jenny D – organise a thank you gift for Colleen if she is attending our PL day
 Ian – contact Colleen Blancato for any update on a NSW ebook subscription.
 Lorraine – email TLs who attended the afternoon tea meeting requesting a copy of their PDP goals to collate into a document for redistribution.

Treasurer’s Report
• It will be necessary to include invoice information at the top of any Professional Learning Day Agenda
• Committee members will need to keep any original dockets to support claims for reimbursement of money spent
• Further details to follow, from the SAM at Rooty Hill PS, regarding the information required to process payments to committee members
• Payment for attendance of our Chairperson & Treasurer at PMBW Professional Learning Days will be covered out of Treasury funds.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting discussion
• 22nd June 2017
• Venue: Caddies Creek PS
• Teacher Librarian host: Jenny Scheffers
• Glenwood Park Dr & Currawong St, Glenwood
• Maximum of 75 Teacher Librarians
• Cost – $40
Agenda
o 8:15am Registration and coffee
o 9:00am Welcome by Principal, Housekeeping and General Business
o 9:15am Paul MacDonald – CBCA Short-listed books
o 10:15am Sponsor’s presentations
o 10:30am Morning tea
o 11:15am Bradley Cook & Leanne Stead – Professional Development Plans
o 12:45pm Lunch
o 1:45pm Julie Grazotis & Lolita Garcia – using Google Docs (PDP) & Google Forms (Evaluation)
o 2:15pm Discussion groups
o 3:00pm Evaluation and Badge Draw
 Ian – confirm Paul Macdonald for this date
 Ian – confirm Bradley Cook & Leanne Stead for this date, confirm the session title and handouts
 Ian – contact Julie to discuss her session on Google Docs for PDPs
 Michele – provide Ian with the link to the ASLA Evidence Guide for Teacher Librarians in the Proficient Career Stage document
 Ian – email the above link to Bradley
 Jenny – email Ian & Jan a copy of a MyPL Agenda template
 Ian, Jan & Jenny – meet at Penrith PS, Wednesday 5th March, to add the course to MyPL
 Sue & Cate – organise sponsors – The Children’s Bookshop & Elizabeth Richards
 Cathie – design Agenda
 Jenny D – organise thank you cards & gifts for presenters and hosts
 Joanna – organise Delegates’ and Presenters’ Certificates
 Lorraine – email invitation and Agenda to district TLs
 Jenny S – contact Richard to book the catering for morning tea & lunch
 Lolita – organise for the Evaluation to be presented using Google Forms
 Michele – organise folders for handouts if required.

Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting discussion
• Venue – Nepean HS
• Nepean High School – 115-119 Great Western Hwy, Emu Plains 0247287200
• Teacher Librarian host – Karuna Chetty
• Date – 13th September (Wednesday Week 9)
• Guest speaker – Bruce Pickworth, author of The Godwits, a new text for Stages 2 & 3 Geography with Teacher Notes written by Margo Pickworth
 Ian – contact Bruce and Margo to confirm attendance at the afternoon tea meeting and the possibility of them selling copies of the book.

Next Committee Meeting: Date TBA, 4.00pm at Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
Dinner to follow for anyone who would like to attend.
Meeting closed: 5.15pm

March 22

Afternoon tea thank you!

On behalf of the Committee, I would like to thank the 35 teacher librarians who braved the inclement weather to attend our very successful and informative afternoon tea regarding our Performance and Development Plans (PDPs) with Bradley Cooper. Thanks to Bradley, and also our TL host, Terrie O’Hearn.

Many of those who attended thought it would be a great idea to share our PDP goals with each other. Lorraine Baxter has invited all PMBW members (via email) to share their goals (either 2016 or 2015) by emailing Lorraine so that she can collate them and then pass them on to our network members. Please feel free to add any explanatory notes to assist. Only those who share will receive this compiled document. We assure you that NO identifying features will be included. If you wish to participate please reply to Lorraine’s email no later than Friday 31st March.

Bradley Cooper and his colleague, Leanne Steed, (Teacher Quality Advisors, Nirimba) have been invited to extend our learning about PDPs at our Term 2 meeting. And a big thank you to Lorraine!

Ian McLean, Chairperson,
PMBW Teacher Librarian Professional Learning Group
Penrith PS.

February 28

Committee Meeting Minutes – Thursday 23 February 2017

Venue: Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club
Meeting opened: 4.30pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Cate Yard, Joanna Deegan, Fran Mead and Michele Young.
Apologies: Lorraine Baxter, Vicci Bishop, Sue Pitt, Julie Grazotis, Jenny Scheffers, Lolita Garcia and Cathie Cattermole.

Ian:
Night of the Notables – hosted by CBCA NSW Branch and Dymocks
Tuesday 28 February 5.30 – 7.00pm at Dymocks, Sydney CBD
Register online for this free event at https://www.trybooking.com/ONRC
“Anticipate! Appreciate! Applaud! The Short List” event
2017 Short List announcement – Tuesday 28 March 9.00am – 3.30pm
Rydges Sydney Central, 28 Albion Street Surry Hills
Registrations open http://www.trybooking.com/NTWF
• Ian – producing ‘Kids Corner’ of the NSW CBCA website with Marion Silk – encouraging schools to join CBCA NSW and use its website
• Christien Midgley (Hebersham PS) – due to changed circumstances at school, Christien is unable to host the Professional Learning day in Term 2
 A committee member volunteer is needed to take on the responsibility for Delegates’ and Presenters’ Certificates
 Ian – contact Colleen Blancato for any update on possible NSW eBook subscription and guidelines for the promotion of eBook providers.

Jan (Treasurer’s Report):
• No change since the end of 2016
 Jan – to check with the SAM at her school regarding any changes to the operation of our PMBW account eg. Purchasing flowers and gifts, reimbursement of money spent by Committee members, payments to guest speakers.

Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Hosted by Terrie O’Hearn TERRIE.OHEARN@DET.NSW.EDU.AU
• Hambledon PS – Bali Drive Quakers Hill 0298373200
• Week 8 Wednesday 15 March
• 3.45pm for a 4pm start – concludes 5pm
• Topic – Professional Development Plans for Teacher Librarians
Guest speaker – Bradley Cook (Teacher Quality Advisor, Nirimba)
A 40-minute introduction to Professional Development Plans (PDPs)
Committee members and attending Teacher Librarians are encouraged to bring along their 2016 and current draft PDPs for discussion and sharing of ideas and strategies
• Committee members please provide a plate for afternoon tea
Ian – contact Cathie regarding the design of the flyer advertising the afternoon tea event
Cathie – design the flyer
Lorraine – email the flyer to the district TLs.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting
 Ian – contact Karuna Chetty, Nepean HS, to ask if she would be agreeable to host this full day meeting instead of the Term 3 afternoon tea meeting
Approach Louise Gaskin at Emu Heights PS if necessary
• Date to be confirmed – possibly Week 9 Thursday
• Agenda
o Bradley Cook & Leanne Steed – PDPs for Teacher Librarians – 90-minute follow up session to their Term 1 Afternoon Tea presentation
o Paul MacDonald – CBCA Short List plus possible second session
 Ian – contact Paul MacDonald
 Ian – Confirm Bradley Cook’s attendance
 Sue & Cate – organise sponsors
 Ian, Jan & Jenny – add the course to MyPL
 Cathie – design Agenda
 Lorraine – email invitation and Agenda to district TLs

Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Host and date TBA
• Possible guest speaker? – Bruce Pickworth, author of a new text for Stages 2 & 3 Geography Syllabus with Teacher Notes written by Margo Pickworth
 Ian – contact Bruce

Next Committee Meeting: 4.00pm at Penrith Panthers
Week 10 Monday 27th March 2017
Dinner to follow for anyone who would like to attend.
Meeting closed: 5.30pm

December 16

Committee Meeting Minutes – Thursday 8 December 2016

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.10pm
Present: Ian McLean, Jenny Scheffers, Jennifer Dengate, Julie Grazotis, Jan Poona, Sue Pitt, Cate Yard, Vicci Bishop, Joanna Deegan and Michele Young.
Apologies: Maria Formica, Fran Mead, Lorraine Baxter and Natalie Ignacz.

Ian
• Maria Formica has resigned from the committee as she has accepted a position in Lawson and will attend the Blue Mountains Teacher Librarian Network meetings.
• Sue Pitt will transfer to Cranebrook HS in 2017
• Night of the Notables – CBCA NSW event at Dymocks in the city early 2017
• Anticipate! Appreciate! Applaud! The CBCA Short List – Tuesday March 28, Rydges Sydney Central 28 Albion Street Surry Hills, 9.00am – 3.30pm. Registrations open http://www.trybooking.com/NTWF

Jan gave her Treasurer’s Report

Jenny Dengate
• Glenmore Park HS has a subscription to Wheelers ebooks
• Easy to use / multiple copies of titles
• Promotion $995 – Subscription for 2017 plus Term 4 2016 free
 Ian – contact Colleen Blancato for any updates on NSW ebook subscription and guidelines for the promotion of ebook providers.

2017 Organisation
• Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting – hosted by Terrie O’Hearn, Hambledon PS?
• Term 2 Full Day Meeting – hosted by Christien Midgley, Hebersham PS?
• Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting – hosted by Karuna Chetty, Nepean HS?
• Term 4 Possible Department of Education Conference.

Term 1 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Wednesday or Thursday Week 7 or 8?
• Possible 2pm start?
• Topic – Professional Development Plans for Teacher Librarians
o Possible guest speaker – Louise King (DoE, Teacher Quality Advisor)?
o Small group discussion and sharing of ideas

 Ian – contact Terrie re date of meeting and start time
 Ian – contact Louise King
 Jenny – visit Hambledon PS to check out the school facilities
 Committee members to copy and share their PDP.

Term 2 Full Day Meeting
• Date to be confirmed – possibly Week 9 Wednesday or Thursday (alternate day with Term 1 meeting)
• Agenda:
o Michelle Jensen – ASLA and Maker Spaces?
o Paul MacDonald – CBCA Short List?
o Catherine Thompson (DoE) – Contextual Concepts?
o Julie Grazotis and Jenny Dengate – Google Apps (G Suite)
o Practical Application for the Classroom
o Author – Walker Books?

 Ian – contact Christien to confirm date, check on availability of breakaway rooms, wifi and computers
 Ian – contact Catherine Thompson
 Jenny – contact Walker Books re author availability
 Marianne – contact Michelle Jensen
 Jan – visit Hebersham to check out the school facilities.

Term 3 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• Possible guest speaker – Dr Belle Alderman of the National Centre for Australian Children’s Literature?

Next Committee Meeting: 4.00pm at Blacktown Worker’s Sports Club (Week 3, Thursday 9th February 2017)
Meeting closed: 5.10pm.

October 31

Welcome to Term 4

Both Jenny Scheffers and I have been on Long Service Leave. A belated welcome to Term 4.

I have just updated the Committee list for 2017. It’s a hyperlink from the top of this main page. A big thank you to Jenny, who has stepped down as Chairperson after many years in the position. We already miss her, but she is also staying on the Committee and will be helping Jan Poona, Michele Young and I to tackle the MyPL site when we register our Professional Learning events. A big thank you to all returning and new Committee members.

Jenny says, “Thank you everyone for the beautiful flower arrangement, vase and hand-painted card. I was very overwhelmed! Thank you also for everyone’s wonderful support and friendship over the past nine years as Chairperson (and longer as Secretary & a general committee member). We are so very fortunate to have such a hard working, cohesive and professional Committee! I look forward now to being a general Committee member…”

Hope you have a stress-free conclusion to your year. See you all at our next event in 2017!

Ian McLean
Chairperson 2017
PMBW Teacher Librarian Professional Learning Group.

Category: news | LEAVE A COMMENT
August 22

Meet Aleesah Darlison at our AGM

Our Term 3 2016 Afternoon Tea Meeting is also our Annual General Meeting to establish the 2017 Committee positions.

• Hosted by Lyn Drew – Penrith South PS (Committee members please bring a plate)
• Thursday 22 September (Week 10, Term 3)
• From 3:30 – 5pm
• Special guest – author Aleesah Darlison
• Copies of Aleesah’s books will be available for sale on the day by The Children’s Bookshop

We look forward to seeing you all.

August 9

Committee Meeting Minutes – Thursday 28 July 2016

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.00pm
Present: Jenny Scheffers, Cathie Cattermole, Ian McLean, Jan Poona, Vicci Bishop, Sue Pitt, Lolita Garcia, Julie Grazotis, Lorraine Baxter, Natalie Ignacz, Marianne Grasso and Michele Young
Apologies: Fran Mead and Jennifer Dengate.

Jenny
• Welcome to Vicci who works with Jan at Rooty Hill PS
• Thank you to the Committee for Conference organisation
• Thank you to Cathie for designing the Flyers and for organising the Thank you cards
• Thank you to Julie for the Evaluation report
• Julie and Jenny Dengate are our representatives for the Department Conference
• Marianne is the SLAV NSW representative on the Department Conference Committee
• Committee members asked to consider taking on the Chairperson role from 2017.

Jan (Treasurer’s Report)
• Waiting for ten Conference payments
• It will be necessary to meet later in the year to discuss how PMBW finances will work in with the introduction of LMBR.
• Committee agreed to present a thank you gift or flowers to Jan’s SAM.

Julie
• Evaluation of Term 2 Professional Learning Day – very positive feedback
• Refer to handout
• For Jenny Williams resources – access her website
• BOSTES – majority of delegates are at Proficient level with some aiming for Highly Accomplished
• Used Google Forms for the Evaluation – go to Google apps link on your Portal page.

Cathie
• A Connected Classroom session with Aleesah Darlison available through DART ($110).

Term 3 2016 Afternoon Tea Meeting plus AGM
• Hosted by Lyn Drew – Penrith South PS
• Thursday 22 September (Week 10, Term 3)
• From 3:30 – 5pm
• Special guest – author Aleesah Darlison
• Copies of Aleesah’s books will be available for sale on the day by The Children’s Bookshop
 Committee members to bring a plate
 Lorraine – send a reminder email to PBMW members
 Marianne – liaise with Jenny about contacting Michelle Jensen to offer her 15 minutes at the beginning of the meeting to discuss/promote SLA NSW.

Term 4 2016 Department of Education Conference
• Monday 17 October.

Organisation for 2017
Term 1 2017 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• TL – Terrie O’Hearn
• Hambledon PS
 Jenny – contact Terrie to ask if the Library is suitable for a full day meeting and if wifi is available
Term 2 2017 Full Day Meeting
• TL – Christien Midgley
• Hebersham PS
Term 3 2017 Afternoon Tea Meeting
• TL – Karuna Chetty
• Nepean HS
Term 4 2017 Department Conference?

Possible Topics for Professional Learning Days 2017
• Hands on workshop using Google Docs?
• Makerspaces – Michelle Jensen?
• eBooks – Overdrive & Wheelers?
• STEM & STEAM?
• Promoting features of Oliver?
• PDPs and the accreditation process for Teacher Librarians?
• Afternoon Tea – informal discussion, bring along your favourite book, promote PRC?
– guest author – Walker Books?
 Marianne to contact Michelle Jensen to ask if she would be interested in presenting a session at the full day meeting?
 Jenny – contact Colleen Foley about a speaker on the PDP and accreditation topic.

Next Committee Meeting: 3.45pm at Blacktown Workers’ Sports Club (date TBA)
Meeting closed: 4:55pm.

July 7

CBCA Book of the Year Awards slideshow

At our Term 2 full-day conference, “Connect to collaborate and create”, The Children’s Bookshop proprietor, Paul Macdonald, was one of our guest speakers. Paul has given us his slideshow file to share here, so that teacher librarians can share his presentation on the CBCA Book of the Year Awards’ nominees, and what’s currently “hot” in reading, to teachers and students in their schools. Thank you Paul.

June 29

A new blog to support Book Week

In association with the Children’s Book Council of Australia’s NSW Branch, teacher librarians Ian McLean and Jackie Hawkes have set up a blog to help students to explore the 2016 CBCA Book of the Year Awards, the “Notable books”, Short List, Honour Books and gold-medal winners, and to support CBCA NSW initiatives, such as the Kids AAA event.

Kids AAA blog

Check it out at: HERE.

June 14

Committee Meeting Minutes – Thursday 26 May 2016

Venue: Penrith Panthers
Meeting opened: 4.05pm
Present: Jenny Scheffers, Cathie Cattermole, Ian McLean, Jennifer Dengate, Jan Poona, Sue Pitt and Michele Young.
Apologies: Fran Mead, Lolita Garcia, Julie Grazotis, Lorraine Baxter and Natalie Ignacz.

General Business
• Jenny announced that she will be retiring from the position of PMBW Chairperson at the end of 2016. She intends to continue with her support as a Committee member
• Ian will write a short article for Scan, including photos, about our Term 2 Conference
• Ian shared a handout promoting the Jackie French Travelling Suitcase and the blog to support the CBCA Notables and “Book of the Year Awards” Short List at kidsaaa.edublods.org

Jan (Treasurer’s Report)
• $500 deposit paid for Term 2 conference. 50% of balance owing is due to be paid next week.

Term 2 2016 Conference
• Rooty Hill Club – Waratah room
• Thursday 30th June
• 82 registrations at present, up to 100 is acceptable
• See handout for Function details
• Venue seating – tables of 8
• Club will provide notepad and pen for delegates
• Access from 7am via trade entrance – lift available for sponsors
• Jenny emailed Colleen Foley to ask if SCIS could donate any books for the Lucky Door prizes
• Show bags – will contain the Agenda, Evaluation Form, Jenny William’s Handout, Term 3 Afternoon Tea with Aleesah Darlison Handout and a Scholastic book
• Sponsors – organised by Sue – Teacher’s Health, Scholastic, Syba Signs, Copyright Agency, CBCA and The Children’s Bookshop
• Introduction and thank you to presenters
Cathie – Dr Nerida McCredie
Ian – Paul Macdonald
Natalie – Jenny Williams

TO DO
 Jenny – confirm menu and finalise the number of delegates requesting special dietary requirements
 Jenny – check venue for wifi access
 Jenny – email Club PMBW Logo for signage
 Jenny – copy handouts in colour at Caddies Creek PS. School to invoice PMBW for cost of paper and printing
 Jenny – liaise with Jackie Hawkes about selling CBCA merchandise at the trade fair
 Jenny – bring a spare laptop to the conference
 Jenny – make announcements before and during lunch to remind delegates to visit the Trade Fair. Ask Events Manager if morning and afternoon tea can be set up near the Sponsor’s tables
 Fran – Purchase gifts for presenters
 Cathie – prepare ‘Reserved’ signs for Committee tables
 Cathie – organise the design and purchase of Thank you cards through Vista Print. Add PMBW logo to the back of the card. Email Jenny and the Committee a copy of the final design
 Michele – organise folders for showbags
 Jan – organise different showbag styles for primary and high school
 Jan – bring PMBW banners
 Lorraine – email delegates information about parking, Club entry etc in the week before the conference
 Lorraine – organise delegate badges
 Natalie – organise certificates.

Next meeting – Conference preparation – Thursday 16 June (Week 8) at Plumpton HS
Sue, Jenny, Jan and Michele to attend to fill showbags

Next Committee Meeting: 3.45pm at Blacktown Workers’ Sports Club (date TBA)
Meeting closed: 5.10pm